OMG July Goal

Unfortunately, I failed to achieve my June goal for OMG. I had hoped to finish quilting my Midnight Mystery Quilt but I’ve really struggled to find motivation with this particular project. (I guess that’s why I have so many projects on the go at any one time – my interest in them can fluctuate on a daily basis.)

I’ve been toying with several possibilities for my July Goal – including not making a goal this month at all – but have decided to try and finish a long overdue WIP.

Midway through last year, I purchased my first ever Moda jelly roll – one by Zen Chic called Reel Time. (For my non-quilting family and friends, a jelly roll is a roll of forty 2 1/2 x 42 inch strips.) IMG_20151008_181303279

I searched online for quite a while to find a quilt pattern that I felt suited this fabric collection. Eventually, I settled on and purchased the Interlock pattern, a fabulous quilt pattern by the very talented Amy Friend @ During Quiet Time.

I tossed up briefly between using an off-white or black solid for the background fabric. Of course, black won – I do like my bold, dramatic quilts!

Interlock1

I managed to make some fairly decent progress last year and even had this project listed as one of my goals for Quarter 4 of the 2015 Finish Along. But then I abandoned this project in favour of some new ones…

Interlock3

I’m about three quarters of the way through finishing my blocks for this project and just need a bit of encouragement to get to the finish line. I’ve recently seen a beautiful finished Interlock Quilt here and have gained some much needed enthusiasm for this project once again 🙂

So my July Goal for OMG  is to finish the flimsy of my Reel Time Quilt.

Interlock4

Let’s hope I do better this month!

Linking up to OMG @ Red Letter Quilts

Modern Crosses Quilt Finish

PlusPlusFinish8

ModernXFinish1

PlusPlusFinish4

PlusPlusFinish2

PlusPlusFinish5

PlusPlusFinish3

ModernXFinish9.jpg

PlusPlusFinish7

Quilt Statistics:

Completion Date: June 25, 2016

Pattern: modified Modern Crosses Quilt from the book Modern Log Cabin Quilting (see previous posts here and here)

Finished Size: 45″ x 57″

Fabric: rainbow Kona solids scraps and various low volume fabrics

Backing & Binding: Ikea Nattljus fabric

Quilting: Diagonal crosshatch

Photo location: GASP! (Glenorchy Art and Sculpture Park), Hobart, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

 

Linking up to MCM @ Cooking Up Quilts, Let’s Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts and TGIFF @ Celtic Thistle Stitches

 

Prism Challenge Finish

A little while ago, I told you about the Tasmanian Modern Quilt Guild ‘s “Prism Challenge”. The idea behind this challenge is to create a rainbow of mini quilts to display at the upcoming Craft and Quilt Fair next month. Each participant chooses a bundle of fabric in one colour (of varying shades and tones) along with a common background neutral fabric. The title of the challenge is “Prism” and can be interpreted in a number of ways.

I drew out an orange pack of fabric.

IMG_20150507_085008611

Originally, I had an idea to create a kind of hexagon shape using a paper pieced template that I created (you can read more about it here). But after seeing a few photos from the last TMQG meeting – which I was unable to attend – my idea looked very similar to one of the other member’s finished prism quilt (also in orange!).

So I had to start from scratch…and this is what I came up with.

IMG_20150619_124924624

I was inspired by an image I found while browsing on the internet.

So I drew it the best I could on paper at the required quilt size of 15″ x 30″.

IMG_20150609_141407769

Trying to work out how to achieve my desired result with fabric took a bit of thought but eventually I decided to do vertical paper pieced blocks.

IMG_20150609_141510236

The common neutral in our fabric packs is Netorious in Metallic by Cotton and Steel. This beautiful fabric really gives the quilt a lovely sheen.

IMG_20150616_192510913This is the first time I’ve tried to make “matched binding” and although not perfect, I’m pretty happy with the result!

IMG_20150616_144844567

I’m not sure if there is a right way to make matched binding, but I just measured as I went around the quilt, adding on one new section at a time.

IMG_20150616_145350898

For the back, I used up the previously made triangles from my original idea and quilted it using straight lines.

IMG_20150619_125043085

Phew…it’s a relief to have this monkey off my back!

As an end note, something really unexpected and wonderful happened to me this week!

I got an email from Shanna @ Fiber of All Sorts informing me that I had won a prize for my Medallion Quilt Finish in May’s A Lovely Year of Finishes !

Thank you Shanna and Melissa @ Sew Bittersweet Designs for hosting this wonderful linky party.  I won a PDF bag pattern of choice from the lovely and talented Sara of Sew Sweetness. THANK YOU!

Deb 😉

Medallion Quilt Finish

Marcelle Medallion Quilt

It was a perfect Autumn day today down here in Southern Tasmania, Australia.

Marcelle Medallion Quilt

A perfect day for the beach…

IMGP5701

and for taking photos of Finished Quilts!

Marcelle Medallion Quilt

My Marcelle Medallion Quilt has taken a while to finish (you can read more about this quilt in previous posts here and here)…

IMGP5722

but I am so happy with this quilt and how it has turned out!

I kept the quilting quite simple…

Marcelle Medallion Quilt

mostly stitch in the ditch and straight line quilting.

IMG_20150516_153359310IMG_20150516_152831557

I used grey Gutermann thread for the quilting and pieced together a back using some lovely soft Japanese Sevenberry fabric and a strip of orange Carolyn Friedlander botanics fabric. For the binding, I used a pale aqua Andover fabric which I think worked perfectly to finish off this bold quilt!

IMG_20150516_153502392

This project is my May finish for A Lovely Year of Finishes.

Marcelle Medallion Quilt

Happy days! Deb 🙂

Linking up to Let’s Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts